Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Another "Happy Birthday"!

This was my very first baby. Well, she still is and always will be, actually. BUT...




My baby Allison is 15 years old today! I have a knot in my stomach. When she turned 10, and got into "double digits" it didn't bother me. When she turned 13 and was an Official Teenager it didn't bother me. But 15! OMG-she might as well be 20! Even though I've always told her she couldn't get her driver's license until she graduated from college, she truly believes she can go sign right up for Driver's Ed.! I told her there really is no point because she won't be able to use any of that information for quite a few years, because, she will be going to UTSA after high school, and Steven works RIGHT NEXT DOOR to UTSA, so he can drop her off in the morning and pick her up in the evenings, so see...there really is no reason for her to drive at all!

But, maybe I should rethink that...I'll let her get her license but, she can only go as far as Target, Barnes & Noble and Starbucks. And that's it! lol! Oh, just thought of another benefit...she can take Ethan to his doctor's appointments...you have to take the good with the bad, you know!

One more brag on her, because she is the best daughter ever-just don't tell Claire that-but...get this...Allison was accepted into the National Honor Society!(?!?) MY daughter? MY daughter. OK, I'll give Steven some credit too, I guess. She is so much like him! So smart! I'm like, OK smart, but they are REALLY smart. Plus, I had better things to do in High School than learn stuff! Well, maybe I'm really smart too, but more in a common sense kind of way...I just keep it on the down low. I just cruised by making B's and C's, and not letting anyone know I could do better if I had actually cracked a book. That way, I did ok in school, didn't cause any trouble, and when I did bring home an A or two, everyone was so excited! Kinda the best of both worlds. Anyway...

CONGRATULATIONS ALLISON-one, for being you. Two, for hanging in with me this long. I know it hasn't always been easy, but we both learned a lot together, and I'm a better Mom because of you. I love you!

Well, I have a few other pictures for you but Blogger is being a butt. Pictures of Claire at her performance, pictures of curtains, and a pictures of a log cabin pattern I am sewing entirely by hand to make a pillow for the sofa. Blogger has different plans though, I guess, because it won't let me upload any more pictures. I totally need to blog more often so I can keep everyone up to date on things because I know all 3 of you are just waiting with baited breath, and not have to do it in one HUGE post.

One more point of interest though...check out Malka Dubrawsky's blog (I really hope I spelled that right!) A Stitch in Dye. She lives in Austin-my MOST FAVORITE CITY IN THE WORLD JUST IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW- and makes the most beautiful cloth you have ever seen and is a complete inspiration to me-she does everything I want to do but don't have the time for-- but, her post today is about the Sun. Apparently, every 28 years the Sun is in the exact position it was when it was first created, and today is that day. I find it amazing that somethng like that can be tracked, and it was definitely my 'something new' to learn about today. If you have time, browse around her blog and check out her stuff: It will be time well spent! One thing you have to see is her 'Wee Little Photo Shoot' and her 'Twinkle Quilt'. The Twinkle Quilt is so absolutley gorgeous and the quilts in the 'Wee Little Photo Shoot'...well, the colors take my breath away! Just click on that link and scroll down. They are both on that page, along with other beautiful things. I'm quite sure that Malka doesn't know me from Adam but, she is one of those ' On a Pedistal Artists' for me, just like Susie Monday...which is a whole other post but just real quick...I get to do a few more artist retreats with her starting this month and probably going every month through the Summer! I absolutely cannot WAIT until next weekend!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww she's so beautiful! Happy Birthday! and congrats on getting her that far!

GreenishLady said...

Happy Birthday to the birthday girl! You're a lucky Mum indeed, and they're lucky to have a mother who appreciates them so much.

Mom said...

I, too, am proud of my Alli and think you and Steven have done a great job of raising such a sweet girl. Happy Birthday, Alli. Hope you enjoyed the singing message I sent to you. Can't wait to see the pics of Claire. Hope you can post them soon.
Mom

WonderousMe said...

She is so Beautiful, Happy Birthday!!!!

Anna said...

Happy Belated Birthday Allison who probably doesn't even remember this stranger named Anna. See, more than three people read your blog Lauri! By the way, that's cool that you get to go on so many artsy retreats, and I TOTALLY love Austin too! Hey, e-mail me soon, ok?

Anna

Karen said...

Nice photo, and thanks for the great comment over on my blog. I appreciate the visit!

Helen Ruth said...

Nice to meet you! Beautiful daughter and you must be so proud. I had a hard time dealing with my firstborn turning TWENTY. Yikes, I'm in denial about my age... don't know how I'll deal with my kids turning 30 (then I'll really feel old.)

San Antonio is so beautiful and my husband was talking about the Japanese tea garden this morning. We may pop over there next week. IF so, I'll probably blog on it.

Thanks for the nice post! I feel we are both very lucky for living in two beautiful places. I love this part of Texas!