Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A couple of things...

I am always forgetting to take pictures and post things before they are sold or given away...and when I do actually take a picture, I forget to put it up here. Please forgive the delays, and I hope you like them anyway...

Below is my ONE Halloween craft this year...a little tote bag I made for Claire out of some Halloween material I bought last year, but never got to use. (I think this all goes back to having children...ha!) I put the little pocket across the front, topped by the orange rick-rack, and it was just aching for something to go in it. So, inspired by the little ghosts on the fabric, I made a ghost stuffie. She loved that thing, and took that tote everywhere. The strap was big enough that she could wear it from one shoulder and across her body, so she never lost it. Why didn't I think of that before? And there goes Halloween...



This is a pincushion I made for my friend, Monica here in San Antonio. She is the one who made me the little fabric ATC with the little blue bird I posted about in my Nov. 12 post, below..."What a Wonderful Weekend", I think...anyway, we lives so close to me it's almost scary! Not in a bad way, but I guess more like 'surprising' that, with all the crafters and artist blogs out there, that I would find someone so close...less than 5 miles away. Anyway, she is a wonderful person, and her children are so great...and sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeett! We met at the park the other day with the kids, and here comes Carolina who doesn't know me from Adam, and gives me this hug that lasts forever! Too sweet!

Anyway...I made Monica a pincushion out of some blue calico and a fabric that has a yellow background with Bluebonnets all over it; because Bluebonnets are the State Flower of Texas, ya know, and Monica is not originally from Texas. I also made the little button in the center out of the Bluebonnet fabric. I backed it with some really old, thin, vintage chenille, so I lined the chenille with some muslin, hoping it won't wear out too soon! This is the front...


...and this is the back. Oh! And I also put some lavender in with the polyfill so it would smell nice. I love the smell of lavender, but I know lots of people who don't, so I was a little worried; but, I think she likes it.


No Thanksgiving projects this year. I've been working on catching up with some swaps and some business. Now that I quit the Craft Mafia, I can actually do my job! lol! I also broke my Lifetime Standing Rule of "Never put up the Christmas Tree before Brian's (my brother) birthday!" His birthday is the 17th of December, and my mom never put up the tree before then. And now, even as an adult, I can't do it either! lol! But, Steven has been home all week on vacation and we had lots of time to put it up and actually enjoy putting it up, rather than waiting until a few days before Christmas and wishing it would just magically appear and, when it doesn't, having to throw it up in haste just because you have to and time is running out. Of course, there are no presents to put under it because no Christmas shopping has been done, but...I'm sure we will get around to that eventually. And getting out the decorations and having the house looks Christmasy means I can listen to all the old, jazzy, 'Christmas Classics' sung by Eartha Kitt (!!!); Frank Sinatra; Nat King Cole; Bing Crosby; Peggy Lee(!)-"I like a sleighride!"-makes me just stand there and bob up and down, rofl!; Lena Horn; oh gosh, who else? Anway, I love that type of Christmas music, and secretly listen to it every once in a while all year. Especially Eartha Kitt's "Santa Baby"! Definitely my all time favorite!

Ummm...there was a point to all of that...decorations and Christmas music...OH! Having all of that around at least puts me in the mood for Christmas shopping, because you know it's 75 degrees (and probably even higher) here.

And for anyone who reads this...your mission this Thanksgiving weekend, is to go and find a copy/DVD of the movie 'Home for the Holidays' )with Holly Hunter, Robert Downey, Jr. and Anne Bancroft) and watch it and enjoy it and laugh so hard your ribs are hurting and tears are streaming down your face! Everyone can relate to the sibling rivalry and the 'crazy old aunt' and just the holiday family get togethers in general. You'll be glad you did!

Happy Thanksgiving to whoever celebrates it! And if you don't, have a wonderful day tomorrow!

No comments: